And you are a Sniper! and You are a Sniper!…EVERYONE is a SNIPER! February 21, 2015Posted by Chris Mark in Uncategorized.
Tags: American Sniper, Combat Action Ribbon, Marine, Poser, Scout/Sniper
With the impending release of American Sniper, many of us in the Marine Sniper community cringed knowing that it would spawn a new group of posers and Stolen Valor idiots claiming to be snipers. Well…we weren’t wrong. Our secret Facebook pages (yes, we have ‘secret’ pages) have been filling up with stories of people claiming to be Marine Snipers (no doubt our Army, and Navy brothers are having the same issues). Even Marines who legitimately served as Marines have been caught fraudulently claiming ‘sniper’ status. We have caught Disabled Surfers, CEOs, and Bikers making the claims. Here are some things you can ask and how you can quickly confirm if someone is legitimately a Marine Scout/Sniper or a poser..
- EVERY Marine Scout Sniper has graduated from, at a minimum, Marine Scout/Sniper School. Some people are creative and will say things “attended Marine Sniper School”..etc. Bottom line, if they have NOT graduated from Marine Scout/Sniper School they are NOT a sniper. I don’t care if they have killed 3 people in one shot from over a mile away…no Scout/Sniper School…NO sniper.
- Being a member of a Scout/Sniper platoon or STA Platoon does not make one a Scout/Sniper. There are numerous members of the unit that have not graduated from Scout/Sniper School.
- In addition to claiming ‘sniper’ or Recon/Ninja/SEAL/Delta/MARSOC status…we have a laundry list of posers now claiming ‘combat’ status.
There is a reservist running around who has graduated from Sniper school..but he is a reservist that has never seen combat or any overseas duty. All of his pictures are from Sniper School but there is nothing from being ‘in theater’. This is a dead giveaway. Nothing wrong with being a ‘reserve rat’ but he is now claiming to be a combat vet…when asked his missions were soooo top secret that he cannot disclose. Which brings me to some points/questions you can use to quickly ascertain their status.
If someone is claiming Scout/Sniper you should ask the following questions:
- “From what schoolhouse did you graduate and what was your class number?” If they don’t know or refuse to answer…BINGO…they are a liar. Every Scout/Sniper knows their class number and where they attended.
- “Which units did you serve with?” Again, if they can’t/don’t answer…BINGO! Poser!
- “Do you have a Combat Action Ribbon (CAR)?” For those claiming combat. If they say “Yes” ask “From where and when?”..If they claim that they were with some supersecret ninja unit, they are lying.
The last point relates the above. When confronted I have found that 99% of posers will dig their heels in, double down, and become more intransigent. In many cases, posers will say things like: “My DD214 does not show all of my schools or combat because I was doing classified missions.”…or…”My DD214 is classified.”….or…..”I can’t share my records with anyone because they are top secret..” or some other BS.
These excuses are all nonsense. Any actual SEAL, SF, Scout/Sniper, MARSOC, Ranger, PJ, CCT, etc. is able to demonstrate that they are a member of the community. Here is one of my own DD214’s (I have 2 from split service) so you can see what they look like and where awards, schools, etc. are listed. More importantly to show to posers that their DD214 will show the schools and combat..
Beware, many posers will take pictures from the Internet and claim to have ‘served with these men’ or…’this is my platoon’. The Marine Reconnaissance Community and Scout/Sniper community is VERY small. If someone is an actual sniper or recon Marine…someone will know them.
Finally, if you have a question about a suspected Poser…leave a comment on this page with your email and I will push the name through the “God Book’ and the community to see if they are actually a Scout/Sniper.